Cockroaches are found around the world. In Australia the most common cockroaches are German, American and Asian. Because cockroaches are so common they can infest almost any home or business. If you would like to protect your home from cockroaches, this basic information can help.
Why are Cockroaches Dangerous for your Home?
Cockroaches live in a number of areas including areas with garbage. This means they can spread diseases common to rotten food including staphylococcus, salmonella and streptococcus. These are illnesses spread through bacteria. There are also viruses cockroaches can spread including polio. Cockroaches eat everything they can find including rotting food and even feces. Keeping your home clear of rubbish and pet droppings can help keep cockroaches away. Most people do not realize that cockroaches leave droppings themselves in pantries and food bins. This is the most common way disease is transferred to humans.
Homes in Northern Australia tend to be at higher risk for infestation. This is because they thrive in hot, humid climates. Cockroaches can infest a home very quickly as they live for up to one year. During that time females can lay up to 30 batches of eggs with an average of 10 to 40 eggs in each batch.
Protecting your Home
You can protect your home from infestation by taking some precautions including:
- Keep your house very clean especially where there is food prep or any type of spills
- Keep areas under the fridge and stove free of crumbs and spills
- Clean your toaster regularly of crumbs
- Never leave a rubbish bin sitting with food that can rot and attract bugs
- Feed your pet and remove and discard food they do not eat so it is not left out in the open
- Keep food in well sealed containers
- Do not leave taps dripping or water anywhere in the home
- Keep your home in good repair and free of cracks and gaps to limit access
- Do not store or horde items such as clothing and papers of any kind
- Screen in compost areas and keep compost bins away from your home
- Have a cockroach pest control company come and assess your home for vulnerabilities
Living with a cockroach infestation can be unnerving as well as spread disease to your family and pets. Following these helpful tips will help you avoid cockroaches for a happy, pest free home.
If you want to keep your home pest free cockroach pest control services from Rip Pest Control is the simple answer. Visit www.rippestcontrol.com.au for more information.
1 person likes this post.